Snowmobile operator's permit

What the law says

Pursuant to article 18 of the Act respecting off-highway vehicles, every operator of a snowmobile must be 16 years of age or older. Furthermore, operators aged 16 and 17 years of age must hold a certificate that attests that the operator has the competence and knowledge required to operate a snowmobile.

The Fédération des clubs de motoneigistes du Québec has mandated the ConduiPro driving schools group to dispense this information and issue a certificate of competence to those candidates that have successfully completed the theoretical training course.   

For additional information, please visit the ConduiPro Web site or call 1-877-766-3443.

Attention ! In such instances where the snowmobile trail crosses a public roadway or utilises a road right-of-way, the operator must be the holder of a licence authorizing him under the Highway Safety Code to drive a road vehicle on such a roadway, regardless of his/her age. In addition to an automobile licence, the following permits are also authorized:

Mopeds or scooters (class 6D)
Probationary licence (class 5)
Tractor (class 8)

NB :  The learner’s licence is to be used under the same conditions as those that apply for its use on a roadway for motorcycles. In other words, the permit holder must be accompanied by another snowmobile whose operator possesses, since at least 48 months, a valid automobile or motorcycle licence.  

For non-Quebec residents

Operators aged 16 and 17 years old must possess proof that they are legally entitled to operate an off-highway vehicle in their home jurisdiction.  Please note that even in instances when the home state or province allows legal operation of a snowmobile to individuals aged below 16 years of age, driving a snowmobile in Quebec for anyone under 16 is strictly prohibited.

What you need before you leave

  • Your FCMQ trail permit
  • Your vehicle registration
  • Your driver's licence (for public road crossings)
  • Proof of $500,000 liability insurance coverage
  • A rental contract (if the snowmobile is rented)
  • A competence certificate (for 16 and 17 year old operators)